Showing an outdoor movie can be a fun and exciting way to bring people together for a unique and enjoyable experience. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your outdoor movie event:
1. Choose the right location: When selecting a location for your outdoor movie event, consider factors such as access to electricity, the size of the space, and proximity to parking or public transportation. Make sure the area is clear of any obstacles that could block the view of the screen. Having a building on one side or a tree line, can help block light and make the picture easier to see.
2. Rent a quality projector and screen: A good quality projector and screen are essential for a clear and bright picture. Most consumer projectors are created for indoor use. Professional projectors are often bright enough for outdoor use, however these typically cost $5,000 – $25,000. It’s much more affordable to rent a professional projector. We offer affordable projectors for rent, for events in East Texas.
3. Provide comfortable seating: Consider providing chairs, blankets, or even bean bag chairs for your guests to sit on. You could also encourage guests to bring their own seating options.
4. Create a cozy atmosphere: Outdoor movie events can be chilly, especially at night. Consider providing blankets to keep your guests warm and cozy. Your organization can also offer long-sleeve apparel, such as shirts and hoodies.
5. Offer snacks and drinks: Provide popcorn, candy, and other movie snacks to your guests. You could also offer drinks such as hot chocolate or cider to make the event even more enjoyable.
6. Plan for lighting: Make sure there is enough lighting in the area to ensure the safety of your guests. You could use string lights or lanterns to create a cozy atmosphere while also providing sufficient light. Our Outdoor Movie Screen system comes complete with mounted lights, so that your guests can gather their belongings and exit safely.
7. Choose the right movie: Select a movie that is appropriate for your audience and fits the theme of the event. You could even let your guests vote on which movie they would like to watch. A poll on social media is a fun way to engage your followers, and crowd source a movie selection.
8. Obtain a Public Viewing License: In order to show a movie to a viewing audience, you must obtain public performance rights, also known as a “non-theatrical” film license. Licenses for most films are available from Criterion USA and Swank Motion Pictures. Rates vary depending on studio, movie title, and event date with costs ranging from $250 to $600.
9. Plan a realistic start time: It’s recommend starting a movie 30-45 minutes after sundown and using our standard-throw projector. No projector can compete with the sun, so you’ll need to wait a bit after dusk. Click here to check the sunset time for your event date. Screen placement and cover (such as trees, buildings, etc) have a great impact on brightness/start time. If you must show a movie during daytime, use an indoor venue or place the screen under a covered tent with walls covering all four sides.
By following these tips, you can create a fun and memorable outdoor movie event for everyone. If you’re planning an outdoor movie in East Texas, contact us for a movie system quote. We’ll deliver and set up everything so that you can simply sit back and enjoy the show.
Our outdoor movie screens come in two sizes. Both are available for rental in Henderson, Texas and available for events in Henderson, Longview, Tyler, Nacadoches, Kilgore, Carthage, Marshall, Tatum, Mt. Enterprise, Jacksonville, Hallsville, Jefferson, Gladewater, Whitehouse, Gary City, and all other cities in East Texas.